I was browsing recently in our local bookstore and I came across a book by Toni Birdsong called More Than a Bucket List: Making Your Dreams, Passions, and Faith a Reality. At that very moment, I felt inspired. I held the book for a while, contemplating buying it. Being the ever cautious shopper, I decided to skip the $14.99 and check the kindle price when I got home.
I have checked the price & it is cheaper. And as an added bonus, the reviews are pretty good. Most negatives revolve around her mention of places that an average person could never even dream of going. I am sure that would also be the case for me. But, what I did notice people mentioning was that instead of focusing on what a person cannot do, they encouraged us to remember those things you have already done … an unbucket or reverse bucket list. Hmm! Now, that is a thought!
So here goes …
- I got married by eloping.
- I have had 3 boys.
- I lived through having a stillborn daughter.
- I survived nursing school
- I have been a nurse for 24+ years.
- I was able to return to nursing after a long break due to “burnout.”
- I have been able to not only experience the miracle of many births as a labor and delivery nurse, but I have also delivered some of those impatient babies myself.
- I love visiting water falls … and have visited several local falls. But, I have also been fortunate to visit Niagara Falls.
- I have seen the sunrise and sunset over the ocean.
- I have shot arrows with a bow with my boys.
- I am a grandmother.
- I have been to Six Flags and Dollywood and have ridden the coasters.
- I have seen my boys get their driver’s license, graduate and even one get married.
- I have dropper fed baby chinchillas.
- I marched with my high school band in the Fiesta Bowl parade.
- I have seen the Grand Canyon.
- I have bought a house.
- I have completely remodeled a house.
- I worked at a restaurant in a small town in Texas where a very famous actress used to frequent as a child with her mother.
- I went to Mexico with our Church youth group and hiked into the mountains to worship with the people there.
- I had a penpal from Mexico (long before social media came along) & now we chat on facebook.
- I slept in an old Church in Mexico on dirt floors.
- I am saved by the grace of God!
- I played my flute for songs recorded on an album.
- I have done gymnastics on a balance beam and an uneven bar.
- I have done a back flip and back handspring.
My list may not be impressive to some. And that’s ok. It is what it is! But, as I think about my life and the things I have experienced, accomplished and overcome, I feel so blessed!
I am out of time for now. I will be returning later to add to my list as I think of things worth remembering.
Do you have a reverse bucket list? If so, please share a link so that we can enjoy it with you!